Friday 27 June 2008

Young persons game

I took a call at about ten O' clock last night. A good friend of mine and an excellent recruiter told me he had handed in his notice at the giant he works for. He's in his 30's, has a wife and a young son.

I knew he'd been having a tough time with process. Process is important, especially in a large organisation. If you adhere to it and don't perform then at least you are doing the right thing and can be helped. Mavericks like me never fit in well to that environment so my expectations of keeping my job if my numbers dropped off were never great. Anyway, I digress.

Post code territories, splits, top drawing candidates and clients and youthful idiocy of the management were his tipping point (just finished Malcom Gladwell's book). The story he told was that the director of one of the companies elite brands (the brand in which my friend worked) had called a sales conference. He divided the teams into the regions and called them things like the "London louts", "Northern Monkeys" etc..........

My former colleague said that he couldn't go home to his wife with any degree of pride. That's when it hit me. Recruitment in the traditional sense is a young man's game. How many seasoned recruiters are left in any of the factories. I commend those that are. The stamina and energy to work in that environment for that length of time equals super human to me so kudos!!!!

Grown up's though are less likely to make the mistakes that ruin recruitment for users. They are reliable, honest(more so) and more likely to fulfill a scope of requirement with the care and attention that a client deserves. I was a young pup and definitely appreciate what I learnt as I do the opposite now!!!!

No comments: